Grain free and dairy free. This recipe is really a cross between hummus and baba ganoush. For potato free see the tested product list.
Yields approx. 2 cups
- 1 can 15oz Garbanzo beans (see Product List)
- 1 medium eggplant, cooked
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 med clove garlic
- Olive oil (see Product List)
- Salt (see Product List)
To cook the eggplant:
- Place eggplant over gas burner
- Rotate every few minutes to char outside which gives the hummus a smoky flavor
- Once charred, wrap in foil and finish cooking in a 350 degree oven til tender
- Let cool and peel burnt skin off
- Squeeze excess juices from eggplant using hands or let sit in colander to drain
Drain garbanzo beans and set liquid aside. In food processor, puree beans with lemon juice and salt. Add about 1T olive oil and garlic while pureeing. Puree for a long time, about 3-5 minutes. This will give a nice creamy consistency. Add eggplant and puree. Adjust seasoning with olive oil and salt if desired. Adjust consistency with garbanzo liquid if desired.
(recipe by Lynn Wolff)